POINTS CONCERNING THE ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT
The seven points below were offered by the Defenders of Potomac River Parkland for consideration by those preparing comments on the Environmental Assessment on the Georgetown boathouse zone during the comment period that ended on September 30, 2016:
1. Support for the "Action Alternative" (phased development for rowing programs and recreational paddlers, with large structures to be located ONLY outside the C&O CanalNHPark (at Sites D&E).
2. Support for possible land exchanges ONLY outside the C&O Canal NHPark (at Sites D&E), but NOT inside the C&O Canal NHPark.
3. Support for no new private development within the C&O Canal NHPark, and no major construction in the national historical park (at Sites A&C). Any new facilities there should be managed by NPS or a concessionaire.
4. Support for the least intense new development (or none) next to the historic Alexandria Aqueduct (at Site C) and next to the historic Washington Canoe Club (at Site A) within the C&O CanalNHPark.
5. Support for preserving the natural, historic, and scenic resources of the C&O CanalNHPark (at Sites A,B,C) as the development plan moves forward.
6. Support for protecting the safety of pedestrians, cyclists, and boaters at the narrow gateway to the C&O CanalNHPark and the Capital Crescent Trail (Sites A,B,C) as well as at areas outside the national historical park (at Sites D&E).
7. Request NPS to consult the public whenever they consider the specific plans for the proposed boathouse zone (at Sites A-E).